Friday, September 12, 2008

The Competetion

After two days off to rest the quad, including a very late night in the city on Wednesday to see an incredible Paul Weller concert, I knew that I had to get back out there Thursday, even if only on three hours sleep, and after a full day of work.

At lunch I visit the Runners World website and find more motivation. None other than 2 time Olympic Silver Medalist in the Women's Marathon, Catherine "The Great" Ndereba will be running the Philadelphia Distance Run as well. Not bad.

Several months back, in the beginning of summer two fellow members of The Kip Winger Running Team ran a race in Bellmar, NJ. In talking with the teamates before the race we were laughing at how the elite section of the race was full of Kenyans and Ethiopians. As the race got closer, "Down with the Ethiopians" was the rallying cry.

So now, just over a week away I have the face of my competitor. Sure, when she finished third at a half marathon world championship in 2007 (I think) her time was roughly 37 minutes better than mine. That's okay. I'm going to Philly aiming for a personal best anyway, so my prior time isn't the gauge.

Next Sunday, Catherine...