Saturday, November 15, 2008

Running and the greatest fan season of all time.

This fall has been ridiculous for me. For all of my life I have been a Phillies fan and I had the chance, not only to see them win the World Series, but to actually be there for the clinching game. It's miraculous, and something I never would have expected. All of this season I would attempt to leave work around 5ish, get in stretching, run my sixer or whatever distance for that day and then get back in time to make up some dinner and see first pitch. It was great and I enjoyed virtually every minute. Baseball is like that for me. The pace of the game, and the makeup up this years Phillies squad made it such that I never felt like the Phils were out of a game or that I needed to panic. Except against the Mets, I admit I got angry those games.

Fast forward to this week. The Columbus Crew has made a MLS Cup final. This is absurd to me. It's something I can't quite wrap my head around. From 2002-2007, I missed maybe 10 Crew games. I was a season ticket holder for three of those seasons. I saw a whole lot of bad soccer. This season, I saw maybe 10 games. I missed the vast majority of the best season the Crew has ever played. The one game I made it to was in New York, where the Crew lost 3-1, and the opposing goalkeeper actually scored a goal on us. Pathetic. Of course by that point the Crew was sleepwalking and had already accomplished the best record in the league and were well on there way.

I bring this up because of the unpredictability of both of those seasons, and training. I'll be honest, most of the 2005 through 2007 seasons, watching the Columbus Crew was a chore. It was awful and for the most part joyless. This was a team that even when they had the ball in the attacking third never looked as if they would be threatening to score. Still there would be moments, where an unexpected goal vs DC or Chicago would send me screaming with such joy that I would disturb my neighbors, and they would run upstairs to check if I was okay.

This past Thursday night against the Fire when the Crew played a lackluster first half it seemed to be similar to those teams I watched the past few years. The second half Columbus looked like a completely different team. Night and day. They dominated to a point where the entire 45 minutes was more or less stress free and enjoyable. It's not something that was expected at all.

In my training 2-3 weeks ago, I felt like I was on the verge of a breakthrough. My mileage was up and my speed was improving by dramatic leaps in nearly every workout. This week it was a totally different story. After my track session Sunday my long run was passable, but not exactly quick. My subsequent runs in the week were pretty miserable actually. I looked back at my supposed breakthrough week and wondered what happened? What had I been doing differently this week.

Last night, stuff wasn't looking much better. By 3:30 om it was raining. By 430 it was raining and looking like midnight outside. A friend from work invited me to happy hour. I looked outside thinking how drinking a Johnny Walker sounded much nicer than dodging Jetta's on my run. I looked back and said, "Sorry, I can't I gotta get in a run tonight. I gotta put in a sixer to end the week" She looked outside and then at me, obviously puzzled, and mocked my use of the word sixer.

Leaving work, I had memories of my last few poor runs, and really hoped that I'd put in the full six and put in my mind that was a necessity and that I couldn't turn around at 2 and put in four. Lo and behold, the run was my best of the week. Tempo, turnover, lungs, mental, everything was working better than at any point in the week. It was pretty ridiculous, and more rewarding than a happy hour,

The thing is, it wasn't unlike watching a favorite team as they go through tough seasons. Okay, it's a bit different putting down miles than sitting on the couch with a beer. But, if I have the base down, it's not a matter of thinking, "I can't finish this run." Cause I know I can. There may be days that where my knees hurt. My lungs aren't working, my quads are tight, mentally I am not ready. But then there are the days of unexpected breakthroughs. I have no idea how the body works. How one day can be the worst run ever, followed by one that leaves you on a high for days. Likewise I can guess how a soccer team that was under .500 last season returns basically the same team this year and dominates the entire league.

In the end, it's the joy in those unexpected surprises that keeps me watching my sometimes crap teams and getting back out there after a crap run. Just like I don't want to miss the shocking upset game, or the game where the team finally gelled, I don't want to miss that run either.

No comments: